You can judge a company to be a good choice by asking yourself these questions:
Does the company…
- have efficient communication with you?
- have a strong portfolio and great prior work?
- have the proper infrastructure for your job?
- offer you detailed plans and logistics in the early stages of a project?
- seem like they will have joy working with you?
- share a deep love for spreadsheets?
- provide multiple concepts and ideas if you asked to have choices?
- tell you when your requests have gone too far / are too much, as soon as that happens?
- have leadership that is comprised of interesting, ambitious people?
- have fair payment structures, such as a staggered payment plan that distributes risk evenly throughout the process?
- provide you with bilateral, mutually beneficial contracts?
- negotiate fairly?
- stay away from pushing you to do something far outside of your budget?